- Don’t forget to add your greeting or closing, name and address.
- Inappropriate word choice can lead to ridiculousness and confusion, so be careful with what you write! Avoid using slang words . If someone doesn’t understand your message due to your wording, he/she will probably return the card back without even reading the rest of it.
- Don’t forget to sign the card with your name so that people can easily find you on Facebook or somewhere else.
- A postcard is not the place for expressing your political views, so don’t use this card to let your friends know what your political position is! It’s okay to just say “I’m fine” or “everything here is great”.
- You also shouldn’t tell how much you miss them in the postcard if you are planning to visit home soon because it will give them false hope of meeting you sooner than expected. This might cause unnecessary stress and disappointment when their expectations aren’t met.
- Don’t write too much !!! People don’t have enough time to read it before the bus arrives at their stop.
- Don’t just write about your wonderful experiences in this country without giving any advice. It is an easy way to be forgotten quickly, so that people won’t meet you when they visit this place in the future. If you want to share some small exciting facts with them use bullet points instead of text paragraphs. They are more interesting and easier to read through!
- If you don’t like writing postcards, you shouldn’t force yourself to do it and then not feel happy about your words and expressions! Write about what you love! Use your natural way of speaking while writing a postcard, otherwise it will be easy for people to see that something is wrong with what you wrote even if they don’t know exactly what it is .
- Don’t forget to add destination or destination address on the other side (if there’s enough space for it). Please don’t make mistakes in basic grammar, punctuation and spelling! Your loved ones want to know where their relatives are but not an English teacher…
- Do not write with a gel pen as you can smudge the ink with your hand or a drop of water will get on the card and smudge all the text!
About The Author
I'm Alexander Polyakh, the founder and editor of The Bigger Lovers. I like to write various articles that help other people make their lives richer and brighter. I have a degree in business marketing, I've written over a hundred songs and I've spent the last 7 years getting to know people from all over the world and learning about other people's traditions. If you want to connect with me, check me out on Instagram or Facebook.